From Jeffry Houser <jef...@dot-com-it.com>
Subject Re: Logo Contest information
Date Tue, 10 Jan 2012 18:01:44 GMT

> On the other hand - pro-bono for the committer is strictly a time contribution as far
as US law is concerned. It's implicit that any work done for Apache Flex is 'owned' by Apache
Flex - period. The world of software / intellectual property is governed by patents.
  I believe this is an incomplete understanding.  For starters why can't
code be covered by copyright?  There is tons of stuff out there if you
Google it; and most of it makes me think that it can be.

  I remember a stack overflow podcast where Joel talks about code
ownership; and the gist was that the code you write belongs to you
unless a contract is in place which states otherwise.  Most businesses
have such agreement in place.

  As an initial committer to Apache Flex, both myself and my company had
to sign an agreement with Apache.  This seems like a very explicit
agreement, not an implicit one as you suggest.  I assume such an
agreement is required due to the above reasons.

  But, yes you're right we don't have to deal with trademarks related to
source code.

--
Jeffry Houser
Technical Entrepreneur