From Rick Winscot <rick.wins...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] [Binding] Logo - final tweaks
Date Fri, 27 Jan 2012 18:48:31 GMT
Font licenses have specific requirements on how, when, where, and in what quantity fonts /
font characters can be included in designs. Including / embedding a font in-total or significant
quantity in any design will likely violate re-distribution clauses ( depending on the license
in question ).

http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/antipiracy/ff_faq.html#section-2

Converting the characters that are used in a design to outlines eliminates the need to include
/ embed any part of the font in a design ( this also makes designs portable ). The newly created
line-art, as part of a design, is now a derivative work.

Can someone copyright a font?

Yes! Fonts are 'HUGE' assets in the computer world. Have you ever heard of http://www.ascendercorp.com/
?

--
Rick Winscot

On Friday, January 27, 2012 at 1:17 PM, Jeffry Houser wrote:

> > The logo should be in vector format to facilitate scaling... and to establish the
logo as a derivative work. You shouldn't include / embed any fonts in-total as that will likely
result in copyright infringement.