From Rick Winscot <rick.wins...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Logo Contest information
Date Tue, 10 Jan 2012 17:32:07 GMT
Actually... there is a very big difference in how graphic design ( e.g. creative art ) and
intellectual property ( e.g. coding ) are treated in the law in the United States.

Pro-bono for the designer means giving up the time it takes to create said work, full rights
to the work, and the loss of future revenue for all performances of the work. However, regardless
of licensee claims, 'creative Work' is still 'owned' by the creator ( http://bit.ly/Ag0K6P
). The world of design is ruled by Trade Marks, Signature Marks, and Copyright.

On the other hand - pro-bono for the committer is strictly a time contribution as far as US
law is concerned. It's implicit that any work done for Apache Flex is 'owned' by Apache Flex
- period. The world of software / intellectual property is governed by patents.

I understand and can appreciate your comment about 'setting a precedent for certain things
deserving compensation.' The problem is that evaluation of the following statement is variable
depending on what field your represent... ( open source && non-profit && pro-bono
&& free ). Creative artists live amidst a spaghetti of complexities... developers
- not so much.

Ok. If you want to take me up on the offer - let me know. Otherwise, I'll let it rest.

--
Rick Winscot