From Douglas Arthur <dart...@vmware.com>
Subject flex-users mailing list (starting over)
Date Fri, 13 Jan 2012 19:30:00 GMT
Bertrand sent out an initial email with the subject "Do we want a flex-users list now, and
who volunteers to moderate it?" [1]. This was a follow up of the subject "IRC Channel link
on website?" [2].

In a subsequent follow up, Bertrand clarified his statement to read as follows: "...if some
(say at least 3) PPMC members think it's a good idea to have a users mailing list now, and
agree to moderate it, I'd say let's create it." [3]

Bertrand, if you disagree after all the emails being thrown around yesterday, I'll let this
rest. So please chime in here if you can.

There are a few strong reasons I feel this list should be created now. I will list them out
here.

1.       Users can subscribe to the flex-users list so they don't have to shuffle through
the slew of emails being generated on the flex-dev list.

a.       We can then post to the list when the first release is done, and those users will
be notified via the list.

b.      Users can suggest features there for now, or have conversations of their own on the
future of Apache Flex without being mingled into our discussions and productivity of moving
things forward. Of course, discussions on features or anything we think will be done with
the project will have to have further discussions on the flex-dev list with the idea that
"if it doesn't happen here, it didn't happen".

2.       I think everyone has agreed that we will eventually need this list anyhow. What's
the harm in creating it now if the volunteer moderators are willing to accept the responsibility
to make sure important conversations don't happen there, and that help for Adobe Flex is redirected
to the appropriate resources rather than being discussed on the flex-users list. [4]

3.       Having this user list now will help create that community for when the release is
made available.

Again, to clarify, the moderators would be responsible for making sure discussions that belong
on the flex-dev list find their way there. Part of the arguments from yesterday where surrounding
the discussion on "Best Coding Practices". It's very strong that the consensus from the community
is to NOT have that discussion on the flex-users list, and I completely agree. That discussion
belongs here on the flex-dev list. I don't want that discussion to sway this discussion in
any way. Please keep that discussion separate from the need of creating the flex-users list,
they are completely different topics, keep it that way - I'll shut up about that now.

I expect this list to be low volume initially. It'll be a good low volume channel that users
can subscribe to so they can stay in the loop of the progress of the Apache Flex project,
without having to be bombarded by emails that are pointless to them, and then getting lost
in all the shuffle. If the list grows, moderator's that volunteer will be responsible for
managing it, let those volunteers decide if they responsibility now, or later.

I may have repeated myself in several ways here, I apologize for the long email. I just want
it to be really clear to the purpose, and I haven't heard anyone speak to any of my points
yet. So please, I want to hear why or why not on whether my ideas or good or bad.

Finally, in the previous thread, there were enough volunteers (unless they want to withdraw
now?). In addition, is there anyone else willing to volunteer?

1.       Myself

2.       Anne Kathrine Petter√łe [5]

3.       Jeffry Houser [6]

[1] http://markmail.org/message/hul5gatl5vlgsxhc