From "Skogen, Espen" <espen.sko...@jpmorgan.com>
Subject RE: OSGi bundle Plugin registry system
Date Thu, 19 Jan 2012 16:00:13 GMT
In simple terms, the benefits would be this:

Your main application loads a number of modules provided by a number of dev teams.
Each module has a number of dependencies, and you do not know what those dependencies are
at compile time of the parent app, so RSL is not an option.

The registry allows loading of the dependencies of the modules, adds them to the application
domain, and keeps a record of the dependency. When the second module depending on the same
dependency gets loaded, there's no need to load the dependencies, because they already exist
in the app domain.

So in effect, it allows an on-demand rsl-like dependency loading behaviour which is supported
on a module level instead of just at the application level.

There are however issues around memory management and unloading which needs to be addressed,
so although theoretically it sounds quite simple; there's a number of implementation issues
that needs some thought. Haven't spent much time on this, but it would definitely be worth
investigating.

E:)

Espen Skogen | Vice President | IB Tech Market | Investment Bank | J.P. Morgan | 125 London
Wall, EC2Y 5AJ,  London, United Kingdom | T: +442077420836 | espen.skogen@jpmorgan.com | jpmorgan.com