From Michael Schmalle <m...@teotigraphix.com>
Subject OSGi bundle Plugin registry system
Date Wed, 18 Jan 2012 11:35:37 GMT
Hi,

I noticed in a thread a member talking about modules and loading at
runtime, using the term bundles. Anyone familiar with that term might
think OSGi.

He listed the link below and said wouldn't it be great if Adobe open
sourced this and donated it to Apache Flex.

http://blogs.adobe.com/gravity/2011/09/09/hellogravity-sample-application/

Well, I have been working with a plugin registry system on my own for
about 3 years now, that uses IoC, and extension registry like Eclipse
with extension points and extensions. The asdoc editor was created
with this very same framework.

Currently I'm using SpringAS for the IoC but if there was interest, we
could abstract out the IoC and leave it application dependent on the
system the app is using at the time.

I would really love to know if there was an interest in this type of
project because I have so much time into one already. I have
experimented as well with loading modules as bundles and it worked
great using the Plugin paradigm. New extensions were loaded at runtime
which would say allow new views and editors, commands etc.

Truly if there was an area I would love to expose with Apache Flex is
showing it's potential in creating this dynamic runtime component
system.

The base framework is located;

https://github.com/teotigraphix/sx-plugins

The ui framework;

https://github.com/teotigraphix/sx-ui

-> Menus, Toolbars, Dialogs, Windows

Note; I have been updating these in the last month to abstract AIR
deps out of the ui framework. The base framework still uses Spring
1.1. But as I said, if there was interest, we would abstract this to
an IoC interface.

Let me know, if now, I will still keep developing this for my won projects.

Also, I now have it that you can run an app in the browser and desktop
using the same code, creates different type shells based on the
environment.

Thanks,
Mike