From Michael Schmalle <m...@teotigraphix.com>
Subject Re: Petition: Flash Catalyst must survive
Date Wed, 11 Jan 2012 00:14:13 GMT
Quoting Alex Harui <aharui@adobe.com>:

> On 1/10/12 3:36 PM, "Michael Schmalle" <mike@teotigraphix.com> wrote:
>
>> Hearing this from you now it would explain why in the beginning the
>> Spark set was small, lightweight and manageable and then all the
>> sudden the classes got huge and out of control.
> I would say it wasn't because of an agenda per-se.  IMHO, the issue was we
> hit performance issues because we weren't able to build Spark from the
> ground up.  It was living on top of UIComponent.  It is hard to run fast
> when you put on heavy shoes.
>
> So then MXML-only skins started having AS added in.  Instead of using
> binding we developed a complex skin-part mechanism.
>
> In one of my first posts, I mentioned that we are working in a constrained
> environment.  It is hard to execute good theoretical architecture.
> Sometimes, you even have to cheat.  This will be true in my whiteboard
> project.  There will be some cheating going on.  The key will be finding the
> right way to go about it.

Well the great thing is we have you leading the charge of the cheats.
If there is someone that knows where to cheat it would be you. :)

I live in New England where you have houses built 250-300 years ago,
builders will say all the time, it's more expensive(more trouble) to
remodel this house than to demolish it and start over with a new
foundation.

The next question they have for you is, how much are you willing to
pay for the nostalgia of a Colonial.

Mike