From Michael Schmalle <m...@teotigraphix.com>
Subject Re: Petition: Flash Catalyst must survive
Date Tue, 10 Jan 2012 18:09:27 GMT
Quoting Doug McCune <doug@dougmccune.com>:

> The saddest thing to me is how much time and effort went into building an
> entirely new (yet still incomplete) component model (Spark) that was built
> all around the idea of Catalyst. That's not to say that the Spark
> architecture doesn't have good ideas when you remove Catalyst from the
> picture, but the amount of time that went into designing it to work with
> the Fc tooling was all for naught. I have to believe many decisions would
> have been made differently, and a lot of time would have been invested
> differently had the Catalyst tooling support not been the priority.
>
> Personally I'm happy to see Catalyst go, and would have been happier to see
> it go long ago.

Having developed an extensive amount of components in Flex 2 & 3 I
will have to disagree that Spark was built "for" or around FC.

Spark was created out of the desire/need to separate the view from the
component. Instead of doing everything in updateDisplayList(), skins
were introduced so views for each component could be interchanged
without having a coupled internal dependency on View logic and
rendering in the UIComponent subclass.

I have never used FC in my life, so I saw Spark as alleviating a huge
coupling that the developer had to constantly deal with.

Mike