From Michael Schmalle <m...@teotigraphix.com>
Subject Re: Tabnavigator (and future components)
Date Sat, 07 Jan 2012 11:33:33 GMT
Quoting Jonathan Campos <jonbcampos@gmail.com>:

> On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 5:24 PM, Michael Schmalle
> <mike@teotigraphix.com>wrote:
>
>> I sense your talking to me here all that would be proposed with closeable
>> tabs is in the ITabNavigator interface. closePolicy:String, one property,
>> implement it how you like.
>

> Definitely understand that it is just "one" property. We need to just be
> very aware of each and every property that we track with each component. We
> need to be sure that each property is very discussed as we need to worry
> about the api that we create.
>
> --
> Jonathan Campos

As far as these topics go, I don't have time for API debates. What I
will do in development of such features is a "review and commit" in my
whiteboard section.

I can see so much time being wasted on discussing things like this. I
think the "Apache Way" backs me up that if I'm not interested in these
discussions, I can do what I do with component development, then those
that have the time to discuss API will tell me or commit themselves
what they want from what I have been working on.

I don't have anybody to please other than the community, so I might be
the one that ends up doing some of the more asked about features but
say not as popular for larger companies that want a tight core SDK.

If there is any discussion that needs to be made it's about how we
create an extension framework for the kitchen skin.

Or are we going to fail once again with custom components/extensions
and have them spread all over the internet with different
implementations and dead OS accounts.

I have a blog post talking about this very issue, the I do have an opinion on.

Oh yeah, you had FlexLib, you know why that failed? Because it was
abandoned do to the fact users realized it had no ties to the SDK and
Adobe. We have a chance to start over and create a 3rd party component
echo system that is plugged into the Apache Flex project. If there was
a list of people that would want to see this happen, I would be on the
top of the list.

Mike