From Michael Schmalle <m...@teotigraphix.com>
Subject RE: Falcon compiler source code / Falcon architecture
Date Thu, 05 Jan 2012 12:34:23 GMT
Quoting David Arno <david@davidarno.org>:

> +1
>
>> Wouldn't it be important if the community had access to the Falcon
>> source at a very early stage?
>
> There are some great ideas here around creating an API for the
> compiler to support formatting and documentation tools for example.
> Also I'd like to experiment with adding custom generics support to
> the compiler. I'd love to get involved in this stuff, but see no
> point in starting it with the mxmlc compiler source since we know
> falcon is coming at some point. So please can those with the falcon
> team's ear badger them into releasing to Apache as soon as possible
> (before it's complete.)
>
> David.

I will +1 this as well since I will almost certainly be a major
contributor/committer to this branch of development. One of my goals
personally dealing with the Falcon compiler is to create a place that
I will document everything I do as a notepad for others. So I would
like to have as much documentation on the developing the compiler as
say extending a component.

The compiler IS the Flex SDK and to empower developers to get involved
would be a huge new driving force for the architecture built to use it.

I see this as a very important step in getting Apache Flex into the
melting pot viewed fairly along side other competing technologies. I
have had a few blog posts about the transformation of Flex and really,
this is exactly where it is going to happen on the low level.

Mike