From Michael Schmalle <m...@teotigraphix.com>
Subject Re: Proposition :: ASDoc and compiler adjustments
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2012 23:43:42 GMT
I didn't quite answer the use case question you had.

Two that are huge is as I said an ASDoc Editor, you have no idea how
much time this has saved me, just think of the typing, editing and
code completion for documentation.

The other is metadata. Allowing a DOM to access the compilers AST then
gives any developer the easy access to creating metadata editors,
analyzers etc. For the huge explosion of meta data frameworks, this is
big. You can choose to implement it in your IDE or a separate
application.

The possibilities for time saving is huge.

Mainly I have an interest in this myself and have an enthusiasm
because as I said I have something that saves me a huge amount of time
already based on these principles (documentation editors).

The problem for me has always been "getting at" the real AST, so
writing parsers blah, blah is fine but there is never a great solution
because the AS3 language always has those edge case which the flex
compiler(falcon) already deals with (plus performance with those
20,000 lin classes ;-)).

Mike