From Michael Schmalle <>
Subject Re: Committer duties and information
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2012 20:42:19 GMT
Quoting Alex Harui <>:

Yes Alex this makes sense. I realize the point of Apache is to be
democratic by it's very nature. I wouldn't even think about committing
any component like code without a huge discussion on it's impact and
value with the community first.

I was just trying to get the most extreme case clear in my head.
Besides, with something like the TabNavigator, I think adding an
interface here or there and allowing alternate implementations makes
much more sense than bickering about "which" component should be used.

I also think that the list should really have a decent discussion
about the future uses of interfaces and the lack of them in the
framework to allow for customizations through composition instead of
subclassing or copy and paste craziness.

> So for practical reasons, I think we're going to start with
> commit-then-review.
> If you try to commit a new component, that commit will be reviewed and
> vetoed out if there is a problem.
> So let's get specific.  Let's say you want to contribute your version of a
> Spark TabNavigator component.  Adobe has almost finished its version and
> promised to commit it.  I would recommend starting a discussion on this list
> about whether to take yours vs Adobe's.  That way you'll at least have an
> idea whether folks are willing to review your version or want to wait for
> Adobe.  Then if you do decide to commit, we'll take a harder look at the
> code and maybe you'll get rejected if we find some major problem, but
> otherwise it gets in.  And if folks want to wait for Adobe and you disagree,
> you can offer it up under a different package name.  I suppose someone might
> still try to veto that based on confusing folks about which TabNavigator to
> use, so that might be worth discussing up front as well, but I personally
> don't have a problems with different flavors of components.
> -Alex

View raw message