From Gordon Smith <gosm...@adobe.com>
Subject RE: AS3 Enhancements: method overloading. Why do people want this?
Date Tue, 17 Jan 2012 19:09:11 GMT
Not all optimization belongs in the compiler, especially if the optimizations make SWFs bigger
and slower to load. The AVM can also optimize when it JITs the bytecode to native code, but
then this increases JIT time. The tradeoffs are complicated.

Gordon Smith, Adobe

-----Original Message-----
From: David Arno [mailto:david@davidarno.org]
Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 1:56 AM
To: flex-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: RE: AS3 Enhancements: method overloading. Why do people want this?

It's called "Software Craftsmanship" Rick :p

> Overloading is a performance mechanism...

One of my biggest aims with Apache Flex is to tackle the lack of optimisation on the part
of the compiler. Developers should be able to concentrate on writing good code and not have
to worry about performance.
The latter is the job of the compiler.

David.