From Gordon Smith <gosm...@adobe.com>
Subject RE: ActionScript and Apache Flex
Date Fri, 13 Jan 2012 22:30:36 GMT
Falcon has a lot of support already for .mxml, .css, and .properties files as well as .as files.
It's at the point where it can compile Checkinapp, one of the MXML apps than compiles and
runs when you do 'ant' in the SDK. It compiles the MXML directly to bytecode and does not
produce intermediate AS. On the other hand, in terms of being able to compile whatever projects
you throw at it, I would say that it is not yet alpha quality and you wouldn't want to use
it.

- Gordon Smith, Adobe

-----Original Message-----
From: Alex Harui [mailto:aharui@adobe.com]
Sent: Friday, January 13, 2012 1:45 PM
To: flex-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: ActionScript and Apache Flex

On 1/13/12 3:47 AM, "Tink" <flex@tink.ws> wrote:

> On 13 Jan 2012, at 11:36, Matthew Poole wrote:
>
> We wouldn't be dependent on any particular runtime, which is one of my
> biggest concerns.
>
> - No Flash Player for mobile, and I think most computing is going to
> become mobile over the next 5 years.
The main method of deployment on Mobile seems to be apps these days instead of through the
browser, and AIR makes apps possible on popular mobile devices.
> - Adobe could at any point state they that they are not going to dev
> FP for the browser and only support AIR.
Stopping development is different than eliminating a technology from the face of the earth.
 Doing the latter would break the web and Adobe has no interest in doing so.  Adobe has already
stated that it won't be paying much attention to Flex developers when considering new features
for Flash Player.

> As I understand Falcon doesn't yet support MXML, and because Adobe are
> no longer developing Flex they may never add this which is also a
> concern, let alone what FalconJS will support.
There is enough code laying around to compile simple MXML apps in Falcon.  I expect that code
will be donated when we donate Falcon.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team