From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: Whiteboard area
Date Thu, 26 Jan 2012 08:52:15 GMT

> I would look at the git svn commands and manage my work from there if I
> wasn't a committer. I believe it'll even let you create patches from your
> Git branch for SVN.

Yep that works but it don't preserve checkins or commits (to git). So when your code gets
checked in to SVN it will a miss a large amount of important info. I've (so far) not been
able to work out a way around that.

For those you don't know git and svn can work fairly well together but sadly the standard
version of git in OSX and the standard github client don't come with SVN support and you need
to install git-svn.

There's a nice write up on how to install and use git-svn on OSX (what I happen to currently
use) here:
http://intridea.com/posts/going-rogue-with-git-svn-on-os-x

It assumes you have MacPorts installed (you can also use Brew) which requires Xcode which
is probably overkill for just wanting to use git svn, but being a developer you should already
have it installed right? :-)

The initial check out of the flex SDK from SVN to Git will take some time and I'm guessing
even more time when we get the "real" flex SDK with the full version history. On my machine
with a decent (by Australian standards) internet connection it took over 2 hours.

Justin