From "David Arno" <da...@davidarno.org>
Subject Overly large classes (was Flex incubation on Apache as Opensource)
Date Sun, 15 Jan 2012 19:37:09 GMT
> To: flex-dev@incubator.apache.org
> Subject: Re: Flex incubation on Apache as Opensource

> I think it should be clarified that a class or function with what we
> would determine is a high number of lines of code does not mean
> that its an indicator of crap code.
I disagree. From experience there is a strong correlation between class size
and the quality of the code.

> With those taken into account the line count might be ~ 8000 (just
guessing).
I again agree with Omar. If your class goes over 500 lines, then serious
alarm bells should be ringing. I work on the basis that any class over 200
lines (including braces and comments) needs serious justification as it's
got too big. So whether it is 16,000 lines or 8,000 lines makes no
difference: it's still between 40 and 80 times larger than a well designed
class should be.

David