From "David Arno" <da...@davidarno.org>
Subject RE: I hate top posting
Date Thu, 05 Jan 2012 11:19:33 GMT
have the power to do so when it comes to such things),
> but I hate top posting and I'm seeing way too much of it for my taste here.

And I hate bottom posting. As neither is the right way to do it, and it's all down to a combination
of preference and chosen email client, what an individual might hate isn't really of importance,
surely?

> Also, keeping the whole thread in each message makes our archives next to useless, as
searching for a
> specific statement will return every message in the thread.
> Spending some time to carefully trim and quote what you're replying to will save lots
of time for the (already many)
> subscribers of this list when reading your message.

Both of these are valid points.

> If your mail client is too broken for that, use a better one for your Apache communications...

My email client isn't broken, and, in my opinion, there is no better one available for my
needs. It just does things differently to how you like to do it. The preferred method of doing
Apache communications is a pain for me as I have to manually edit and indent replies, but
if it is of benefit to all in the long run, I'm happy to follow that convention. It's a minor
pain compared with either making life harder for others, or having to use a different email
just for this list.

Your core message - that edited, bottom-posted emails work best with Apache's archive facility
and so could we please follow that convention - is a good one. It's a shame you spoilt it
by insulting myself and others by suggesting you are somehow superior to us because of your
choice of email client and reply method.

David.