From "David Arno" <da...@davidarno.org>
Subject AS3 Enhancements: method overloading. Why do people want this?
Date Mon, 16 Jan 2012 14:51:51 GMT
I have noticed that the most popular request so far for an enhancement to
AS3 is method overload. To quote Bertrand Meyer
(http://drdobbs.com/184414874):

"Overloading, the most masochistic device ever introduced, means that you
can give the same name to several methods as long as they differ by at least
one argument type. This is a rare example of a facility that has no known
advantage, and many documented problems (it's confusing, and conflicts with
object-oriented mechanisms such as polymorphism and redefinition)."

I'm in full agreement with the above quote. I think it is good that AS3
doesn't allow method overloading. Yet it is a popular request, so clearly
other folk disagree with this. I'm therefore curious to know why people are
requesting what ought - IMO - to be viewed as a bad thing.

David.