incubator-etch-user mailing list archives

From S R <sr.poi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Status of Etch
Date Thu, 01 Oct 2009 18:15:42 GMT
We are currently using RPC (Windows) and are looking for a
replacement.  The project is a medium size (100+K loc) administrative
workflow system written in C++, used in a few large international
organizations with a few hundred users each.  Nothing huge, but
production stability is, as always, important.  RPC has been
stable/reliable, but is certainly dated.  The goals in replacing RPC
are 1) removing lots of tedious conversions between RPC-allowed
types/structs and c++ classes (particularly for third-party/stl
classes), 2) improved push notifications (rather than polling), 3)
cross platform (particularly on the server side).  In the future we'd
like to get http/firewall friendly communication and, while etch
doesn't have it now, there has been little development on RPC in eons.
 There is also an intangible aspect that RPC is making us do things in
strange ways that may not be the best design.

There are a few options out there, but etch seemed promising when we
last looked.  Further, I think we may be able to contribute to the
project if we adopt-- at least in documentation, examples, etc.  But
until C support is there, etch isn't an option.  Our opportunity for
doing something is over the next couple of months as part of a larger
update that will already require regression testing.  So, we'll need
to pick an option soon or stick with RPC for the foreseeable future.

Thanks,
Sam