From Martin Veith <Martin.Ve...@bmw-carit.de>
Subject RE: AW: [VOTE] Apache Etch 1.2 release packages
Date Fri, 16 Dec 2011 09:22:03 GMT
Hi Scott,

thanks for your reply.

> in the past the sha was a sha1. now is a sha512. perhaps that should
> be called out?
> perhaps a README.txt in the artifacts directory telling folks how to
> validate?
According to http://apache.org/dev/release-signing.html#sha-checksum the use of SHA-1 should
be avoided.
Therefore we used SHA512. We will add this note to the download page of the website as soon
as the release is out.
Information and examples hot to verify the release signatures and check sums can be found
on the website too.

>  the ant build of example\helloworld works.
> the java version of example\helloworld works.
> the c# version of example\helloworld doesn't work. obscure .net error
> code.
Since the integration of the UDP Transport layer the C# build has had dependencies to the
.NET 4.0 framework.
In order to build the examples the location of the framework must be in your path.
This information is also available in the Readme file of each example.
Maybe that's the reason of your obscure error?

As this dependency to .NET 4.0 is caused only by a used implementation of a BlockingQueue
we are thinking about to eliminate this for the next release and so come back to .NET 2.0
compatibility.

> there is no c version of example\helloworld. i'm thinking there should
> be.
As in the previous 1.1.0-release C examples are only available for example_mixin and helloworld.

The C examples are not build by the ant build script in the binary releases because we don't
ship the ant-cmake library.
Therefore you have to call cmake manually as described in the Readme file too.

Cheers,
Martin

because of the no c version of examples, i vote:

-1

scott