From Scott Comer <wer...@me.com>
Subject Re: AW: [VOTE] Apache Etch 1.2 release packages
Date Fri, 16 Dec 2011 12:17:19 GMT
I call out the build issue because in my experience the build issue is a big mental hurdle
to getting started. Everything should be spelled out in the readme / ant file there in the
example directory. Lovely as it is, wiki is far away.

I did figure out the .net 4.0 part.

Two lines in the read me, one for ant cmake and one for the .net on my path would have saved
a lot of grief

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 16, 2011, at 3:22 AM, Martin Veith <Martin.Veith@bmw-carit.de> wrote:

> Hi Scott,
>
> thanks for your reply.
>
>> in the past the sha was a sha1. now is a sha512. perhaps that should
>> be called out?
>> perhaps a README.txt in the artifacts directory telling folks how to
>> validate?
> According to http://apache.org/dev/release-signing.html#sha-checksum the use of SHA-1
should be avoided.
> Therefore we used SHA512. We will add this note to the download page of the website as
soon as the release is out.
> Information and examples hot to verify the release signatures and check sums can be found
on the website too.

>> the ant build of example\helloworld works.
>> the java version of example\helloworld works.
>> the c# version of example\helloworld doesn't work. obscure .net error
>> code.
> Since the integration of the UDP Transport layer the C# build has had dependencies to
the .NET 4.0 framework.
> In order to build the examples the location of the framework must be in your path.
> This information is also available in the Readme file of each example.
> Maybe that's the reason of your obscure error?
>
> As this dependency to .NET 4.0 is caused only by a used implementation of a BlockingQueue
we are thinking about to eliminate this for the next release and so come back to .NET 2.0
compatibility.

>> there is no c version of example\helloworld. i'm thinking there should
>> be.
> As in the previous 1.1.0-release C examples are only available for example_mixin and
helloworld.
> The C examples are not build by the ant build script in the binary releases because we
don't ship the ant-cmake library.