From Thomas Marsh <ThomasMa...@gamestop.com>
Subject RE: Etch/C Memory Consumption
Date Tue, 13 Sep 2011 14:47:12 GMT
Hello Martijn,

Thanks for your response. However, this is not the source of the leak. There is a clear etch_object_destroy
in the helloworld_remote_begin_server_say_hello() which deallocates any parameters to the
methods (meaning you will get a segfault if you try to reuse the parameters which now no longer
point to valid memory). This usage semantic is also clearly stated in the C Binding notes

>From http://incubator.apache.org/etch/c-binding-tips-tricks.html:

	The C Binding for Etch has the following memory management rules:

	Implementation side: Parameters of functions have to be destroyed by the function implementation
using etch_object_destroy.
	Caller side: Result Objects have to be freed by the caller using etch_object_destroy. Parameters
of calls will be freed by the runtime automatically.

To reiterate, program memory usage in this very simple usage scenario _must_ be stable. I
suspect an ever growing hash table, or some other similar culprit within the runtime. Can
any of the Etch/C binding developers comment?

Thanks, and best regards,

--thomas

-----Original Message-----
From: Martijn Dashorst [mailto:martijn.dashorst@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 13, 2011 7:23 AM
To: etch-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Etch/C Memory Consumption

And  user->name = new_stringw(L"User"); will do so as well

Martijn

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 1:52 PM, Martijn Dashorst <martijn.dashorst@gmail.com> wrote:
> user = new_helloworld_user()
>
> will allocate memory for each pass through the loop.
>
> Martijn
>
> On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 11:19 PM, Thomas Marsh <ThomasMarsh@gamestop.com> wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I have a question about memory consumption in the Etch/C runtime based on behavior
we are seeing within our C client. I have modified the C implementation of the HelloWorld
example in the distribution to run an infinite loop of requests:

>> In the main() routine of helloworld_client_main.c:

>>                while (1) {
>>                                user = new_helloworld_user();
>>                                user->id = 5;
>>                                user->name = new_stringw(L"User");
>>                                result = remote->say_hello(remote,

>> user);
>>                                if (is_etch_exception(result)) {
>>                                }
>>                                printf("%S\n", result->v.valw);
>>                                etch_object_destroy(result);
>>                }
>>
>> While running this, I see that the memory consumption of the client continually grows.
(In this example, it grows by about 1 mB every 5 seconds.) I cannot see the memory leak when
testing with valgrind, so it would suggest that the leak is in Etch managed memory which is
cleared at exit.

>> My understanding is that the call to remote->say_hello() should delegate responsibility
of deallocation of the parameters to the Etch runtime, and that the client code is only responsible
for deallocating the result object. The memory use should be stable within this tight loop.
Can anyone comment on the potential cause of the memory consumption?