From Manoj Ganesan <manoj.gane...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Future of Etch
Date Fri, 03 Sep 2010 14:32:31 GMT
Niclas,

Being the mentor, you would remember the professional transition all the
original Etch developers went through around a year back. That obviously
hits the brakes on how fast the technology is adopted, and some time is
warranted for the project to grow with the creators getting their
professional lives back on track.

The technology isn't something you can try out, and exclaim success in a few
days. To see if Etch is a custom-fit for users, it is only reasonable to
expect that it'll take some time and experimentation. Especially, with some
similar technologies in existence for longer.

It's not that the project is in oblivion. Holger and folks have been working
extensively on the C binding and have been reporting success with the
system. There are other questions/comments, albeit not too frequent,
including one informing us of their success with using Etch (first version
of NetKernel Protocol). The creators of the project use it at their
workplace. I have been investigating Etch being the possible IPC protocol
for our future architecture at my work.

So there are people who are obviously using it. Why 'retire' it then?
Doesn't the term itself discourage people from trying the technology out.
Wouldn't it be better to retire it when it's deemed of being obsolete, or
that it's giving Apache a bad name, or that no one is really using it?
Neither of these seem true today.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Manoj