From Martijn Dashorst <martijn.dasho...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Future of Etch
Date Mon, 06 Sep 2010 19:25:39 GMT
Hi Holger,

Thanks for your thoughtful response. The problem is not the technology
aspect but the community aspect. When etch joined the incubator the
project was an in-house cisco project with cisco paid developers.
Since then cisco dismantled the team and the members have gone to
greener pastures. What could have been a great (albeit small)
community was killed with that action: there were no non-cisco
developers working on the technology at that time. In my opinion, had
the project consisted of a diverse team, we would have been in better
shape.

When we asked you and Michael to join the etch team, we were hoping to
see discussions, commits, jira tickets filed, etc. The stuff that
makes a community alive and thrive.

>From a mentoring perspective, it is very hard to do anything when
nothing is happening. No commits means no code being contributed, no
code being contributed means no releases, and no discussions.
Attracting new committers is difficult, but if you only sit back and
do nothing, why would anybody join? How would anybody find out about
etch? An article from 2008? If you look at an open source project and
you see one commit in a year, 5 messages to all lists, would you
conclude that the project is healthy and thriving and a sound choice?

That said, if more folks are willing to make this *community* work,
I'm willing to re-evaluate the viability of etch in six months. But
we're going to need to see activity: releases, commits, discussions,
etc. All those things are necessary to create a healthy project ready
to graduate. However, sustained silence will inevitably result in an
end to the incubation effort.

As far as I'm concerned there are 2 options on the table:
 - continue incubation and re-evaluate after 6 months and strive to
become a viable community
 - stop incubation, and take the code elsewhere (github, google code,
or just in-house development)

It is up to the etch community and determine its future.

Martijn

On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 6:13 PM, Holger Grandy
<Holger.Grandy@bmw-carit.de> wrote:
> Hello Etch-*,
>
> regarding the current discussion: Etch is a viable technology.
> BMW uses Etch in products, and Etch has proven itself useful in productive
> environments. If you buy a Mini in the future, Etch will drive around with
> you. We are still using it, and - as I have already written in the past - we
> see good reasons for doing so. Etch provides a good communication model and
> a good architecture for efficient binary two-way RPC.
>
> As a benefit for the community, we have committed our C binding implementation
> with lots of code recently. Since this is company driven development, committing
> to the ASF was not a continous process. We worked on it for around half a year
> continously. If we would have used the ASF SVN repository during development, this
> "non-activity" discussion would not have happened now :) This would change in
> the future as we now are ASF committers.
>
> We have an interest in Etch being publicly available, under the hood of the
> Apache foundation. We want to see it in a continous development path.
> We do not want to see it retired. This project has its weaknesses,
> without a doubt, but remember in this discussion, there are people using Etch
> and there are people developing for Etch, and its not only us.
>
> Regards,
> Holger & Michael

Apache Wicket 1.4 increases type safety for web applications
Get it now: http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/wicket/1.4.8