From scott comer <wer...@mac.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Contents of Release 1.1
Date Tue, 14 Sep 2010 16:44:21 GMT
  at cisco we actually maintained a tools tree in the repository
parallel to etch. i like it in the etch tree
myself, but would be willing to go the other route. i like it in the
same checkout because:
1) everything you need to build / use etch is in the single checkout,
2) easier to keep in sync with source.

this last is important as newer versions of tools are integrated (and
enable / require source changes). an
example being an updated dependent library is needed to enable new
functionality. so if someone checks
out the code it won't build until they also update the tools.

somewhat analogous to updating dependent version numbers in poms. they
ride along with the source and the right
thing always happens.

the downside is bigger / longer checkout. how much of a problem is that?
it could get out of hand with non-java
code (windows and linux versions, and other platforms not yet supported).

scott out

On 9/14/2010 10:36 AM, Holger Grandy wrote:
> Hi Scott,
>
> I don't see any reason not to include smaller fixes for bugs which we know today already.
We also have some issues with the
> c binding resolved internally in the last weeks and will merge them to the ASF svn.
>
> Which unit tests failed for you?
>
> Regarding external dependencies: We had the same issue with the c binding. It relies
on apr, apr-iconv, apr-util and cunit.
> I personally don't like the idea of checking them in because it bloats trunk. The native
libs have to be supplied in flavors
> for all OSes which we target, too. In my opinion an environment variable (e.g. "ETCH_EXTERNAL_DEPENDS")
which is used in
> build scripts would be best. We did it similarly with the c binding and the main ant
build uses "TOOLS_DIR" (which is perhaps
> a little bit too generic).
>
> Some other frameworks provide third party download packages on their websites...
>
> I don't think that there is a summary of dependents for the build listed on the website
yet. Do you want to add your list
> there?
>
> Holger

Friday.

>>> I propose that we publish Release 1.1 with the C binding implementation included
>>> in the next weeks (as stated in the mail below).
>>>
>>> Please vote:
>>> -1 : no, release 1.1 should not contain the C binding, because ...
>>> 0  : I don't care
>>> +1 : Release 1.1 should be published with the C binding as described below
>>>
>>> ----
>>> +1 from me
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Holger