From James Dixson <dixs...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Future of Etch
Date Tue, 14 Sep 2010 15:42:21 GMT
* Holger Grandy <Holger.Grandy@bmw-carit.de> [2010-09-08 17:01:36 +0200]:

> - please provide some information regarding the workflow to officially releases
>   in the ASF. We have seen that the last etch release was packaged to the
>   private website "public_html" of Apache.org webspace of James Dixson. Guess that is
not how it is
>   intended to be. I would like to see releases here:
>   - http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/ or
>   - http://projects.apache.org/indexes/releases.html
>   Can we follow the process described at
>   http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#release-distribution ?

I think the dist-process as described in the link would be fine. I do
not think that process existed (or it was still very immature) at the
time we did the 1.0 release. I personally have never been very happy
about the public_html approach and I was only copying what other
projects were doing at the time.

..As a side comment: there are very few guidelines about this kind of
thing. I have found every project does it differently based on what
works for them.

> - please provide an overview about infrastructure roles inside the
>   etch project, so that everyone knows how is the right person to ask
>   for certain jobs (e.g. svn rights, mailing list administration, ...)

As has been mentioned, Mentors need to be asked for many
permission-oriented things until the project graduates.