From "Gav..." <ga...@16degrees.com.au>
Subject Mentioning Jira Issue numbers in log messages. (was: RE: svn commit: r1000027 - )
Date Wed, 22 Sep 2010 21:53:41 GMT

Hi Guys,

You have the commit log below :

> Author: grandyho
> Date: Wed Sep 22 15:10:44 2010
> New Revision: 1000027

> Log:
> added cmake based build for helloworld example in c binding

Then, on the Jira Issue [1] itself you state:

'fixed with rev. 1000027'

Jira has this nice feature which combines log messages with the issue number and
puts it into the 'subversion' tab of the Jira Issue itself.

To take advantage of this you should specify the jira issue number in the commit log
message itself.

So your above log message should instead read:

> Log:
> added cmake based build for helloworld example in c binding. Fixes ETCH-98

Thats all, then the commit will be linked to issue, and those looking  at the issue
will see the revision number in the issue itself and be able to click on a link to
take them straight to the commit diff.

Most projects do the above and I think you guys should start making a habit of putting the
Issue number in 'every' log message that relates to a commit. (Note that the issue does not
have to be complete, many commits can refer to the same jira issue.)

Here is an example of an Etch commit I found that does mention the jira issue number in the

log message.

> Author: fitzner
> Date: Wed Sep 22 14:20:33 2010
> New Revision: 999968

> Log:
> [ETCH-65] integrate binding-c into ANT build

On the jira issue itself, you have not made a comment with the svn revision number, but that
does
not matter because the log message of the commit mention the jira issue number we now have
more
options available to us.

Take a look at ETCH-65 [2] and click on the 'Subversion' tab.

Now you can see:

1. the commit log message.

2. The revision number which links to the viewvc view of it.

3. The list of files changed/added and link to viewvc diffs of each.

Very useful indeed.

So please, try and mention the jira issue number in every commit log that you do and things
are
made easier for everyone in the future.

Gav...

[1] - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ETCH-98