From Holger Grandy <Holger.Gra...@bmw-carit.de>
Subject C Binding Commit
Date Wed, 02 Jun 2010 15:17:45 GMT
Hi Etch Developers,

first of all thank you a lot for choosing us as new committers in the Etch project.

Now we are looking forward to contributing our implementation, which brings me directly to
the topic: :)

Of course we would like to transfer the code which is currently hosted on github into the
Apache
Etch svn. Afterwards we could close the github repo.

That leads to some issues that we would like to discuss with you:

- Build:
	 The C compiler for Etch can be easily integrated into the current Etch compiler build,
	 no problem so far. The C binding runtime libraries are currently meant to be built either
	 using Visual Studio, using the GNU toolchain or rake and this build is not integrated
	 into the ant based Etch build. Furthermore there are some additional
	 dependencies for the C binding (APR, APR-ICONV, CUNIT), which are
	 not part of the Etch distribution and have to be downloaded first. I would
	 suggest that we leave that this way for the initial commit and integrate it into
	 the official Etch build in a second step. The C binding can be built for different
	 operating systems (including but not limited to Win32, Linux, OSX), using
	 different compilers. The suggestion is to check in the Visual Studio projects
	 and a generic Makefile / Rakefile in the first instance. Afterwards the build system
	 can be enhanced and adopted to support different configurations.
- Examples:
	 The C binding comes with a basic "Hello World" Example which illustrates
	 the compatibility between the Java and the C binding. For the future
	 it would be nice to see the C binding besides the Java and CSharp
	 binding in the "examples" top-level directory. Of course this requires the build
	 issue above to be resolved first.
- Source Code:
	 I hope it is ok in general if we replace the content of the binding-c directory
	 with the code from github and commit that to the ASF svn.
	 We will add the Apache source code header to all the .c/.h files.
	 Is there something else we should take care of? Is the Etch svn already set up
	 to allow commits from our new apache user IDs?

In a second step we can add the Wireshark plugin source to the Etch repository. But everything
at
its time :)

What is your opinion on those topics?

Another point: could you please check if our apache user IDs are added to the etch-private@...