From scott comer <wer...@mac.com>
Subject Re: FW: Etch C Binding - how to continue?
Date Tue, 20 Apr 2010 13:09:41 GMT
no reflection on you or etch or anything. just my own personal state,
which is wife is job searching and finishing school and i've got a
deadline in two weeks with major server features and i love etch and am
using it but have no issues really. it just works for me right now.

we had a plan, last year, for adding such features as befits a service
oriented architecture: name service, configuration service, router, etc.
you can read about those on the wiki. nobody responded to our ideas at
the time. i'd like to see c and c++ and python and ruby bindings, fix a
few bugs. i would like to contribute bosh / json binding which i have
cooking, and my json/ajax(?) binding as well.

the wiki is in a not such a good state, and we could use some help there
documenting what we do have and how to use it. there are other things
listed in the jira that need doing.

i'd have more energy, i think, if there were folks actively interested
in helping and discussing where things should go. it isn't really my job
to say where etch should go in the absence of reasonable input from
others. cisco informed our direction before, and we had a real need for
the things we discussed. i might have a real need for them again. but i
don't right now. i guess i'm just a little tired of talking into an
empty room.

you could start by saying what it is you are looking for, where do you
want to go? what's missing? what would be cool?

scott out

On 4/20/2010 5:13 AM, Holger Grandy wrote:
> Hi Scott,
> hi Youngjin,
>
> I hope you received our mail and that I should not conclude that no answer is also an
answer...

> What's up with Etch? I guess nobody of the current committers currently has time left
to actively
> develop Etch further. So is there any reason not to answer our mails?
>
> For us Etch is a very useable technology that fits our needs. We actively use it and
see good technical
> reasons for doing so. I know there are others that see it the same way. What is your
plan for the future of Etch?
> We will continue using it and develop for it. But of course the question on the sustainability
of such an
> approch arises. We want to prevent a true fork from the Apache Software Foundation.
> But at the moment we are really missing arguments on whether to further support etch
as an incubator
> project when there is not even some feedback regarding new contributions from the existing
developers.

> What do you think?
>
> Kind regards,
> Holger Grandy
> Michael Fitzner

Is it possible
> to submit this source code also to the ASF? We would of course be available as committers,
if you
> want this and if you like the C Binding.
>
> Please give us feedback on what you think about it and make a suggestion on how to proceed.
We noticed