From "James King" <James_...@Dell.com>
Subject RE: sockopt error, C# runtime?
Date Thu, 11 Mar 2010 17:09:57 GMT
I'm building from source now, I'll fix the socket options issue in the
runtime for C# locally at least, and send you a patch.

The code generator is a "Custom Tool" style generator which fully
integrates into the IDE.

It automatically compiles the .etch by running the java compiler and
then intelligently catenating the class library files (the ones you are
not supposed to touch) into a single .cs file.  That .cs file
automatically gets deposited in the IDE as a file under the .etch (in a
tree child), like the designer does with the forms and code (where the
code is a child).  Technically it is called a "Single File Code
Generator" in visual studio terms, however it is just running code so
you can do anything you want here, but the result has to be a byte[] of
code that Visual Studio then puts into the project and manages for you.

All you do is add the .etch to your project and it generates the class
library code.  Build the class library and you are done.  Make changes
to the Etch file in the IDE and save it, the generated code is
regenerated by Visual Studio through the generator COM object.  It takes
the Main* and Impl* files and puts them in another location for
reference.  I can post the README and TUTORIAL files if you like, or see
if I can find a place to put the project up for review.  Let me know.

I wanted to make an environment where you can modify the .etch file and
not have to leave the IDE, and that's what I ended up with.  It also
conforms more closely with typical C# development patterns of using a
class library.  Most of the examples I have seen thus far tell you to
generate the code and then make two copies of it, one for Client and one
for Server (or is it Listener?)

I'll also need to get approval here to contribute this back - shouldn't
be a problem.

- Jim