From James deCocq <dotmar...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Etch C Binding Implementation (Compiler + Runtime)
Date Tue, 12 Jan 2010 04:48:46 GMT

Hello Michael and Holder,
As the author of the original C code, I could perhaps be of some assistance. In particular,
there were a few significant challenges to be resolved, perhaps you identified these and did
so.
James deCocq

> From: Holger.Grandy@bmw-carit.de
> To: etch-dev@incubator.apache.org
> CC: Juergen.Steurer@bmw-carit.de
> Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 18:45:28 +0100
> Subject: Etch C Binding Implementation (Compiler + Runtime)
>
> Hi everybody,
>
> we evaluated the Etch SDK several months ago and we think that it is a quite good RPC
mechanism for our specific needs. Since we need a fully functional C binding, we checked out
the source. We could not yet participate in the community in the last months, but for us this
was no reason not to look into the source code. So we started implementing the C binding.

> At the moment we have implemented a functional C Compiler for the Etch IDL and worked
a lot on bugfixing and finalising the C Runtime Code for Etch. RPC calls with nearly all of
the Etch features (both in client and server direction) are working with fully generated code
from the Compiler. Some stuff (like e.g. @Authorize) is not yet done, but all core features
work.

> Current state is early beta in our opinion, our Compiler-generated C code works for our
IDL test suite and the existing Etch runtime test suite is running, too.

> We did a refactoring of the existing C runtime source code of Etch. We did not change
the basic architecture, but structurized and cleaned the source and enhanced/re-implemented
some features, like source for startup and configuration, for logging, parts of the threading
source, for the test suites and some others.

> We also did some bugfixing, e.g. related to multi threading race conditions and some
others.

> We ported the source code to Unix based systems.
>
> Our intention is definitely to participate in the Etch community. We want to get in contact
and hope that this will be of good use for the Etch community and that our efforts will find
their way into the Etch codebase. It is possible for us to submit our source code back to
the community, but the timeframe for this is not yet clear. A discussion regarding this topic
would be very welcome.

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/196390710/direct/01/