From Holger Grandy <Holger.Gra...@bmw-carit.de>
Subject RE: Etch C Binding Implementation (Compiler + Runtime)
Date Thu, 14 Jan 2010 07:30:26 GMT

Hello James, Youngjin,
hello *,

thank you for your replies.

Most important for us is the question regarding next steps. How can we share
our stuff with the community? Is there a special process / requirements to
get involved into the Etch project? How can we make our source code
available?

Scott, are you the right to answer this question?

James, it would be nice if you could go more into detail regarding the
significant challenges which you mentioned. Of course we read the notes
supplied with the c binding and worked on some of those, too.

To go more into detail on our work:

- we added a first compiler implementation using velocity
  (like the existing one for Java).
  The generated source is inspired by the example source code
  for the "perf" application (but of course supporting
  all etch features, and not only the ones present in "perf")
- ported the source to Linux / Unix (required some refactorings due
  to compiler differences and some operating system specific code)
- we analyzed the code using a thread analyzer and removed some race
  conditions and deadlocks
- we removed the hashtable based memory allocation code (due to
  multithreading issues) and used a runtime heap checking library instead
- removed some memory leaks
- startup code for client and server is refactored
- added a configuration mechanism (either using property files or
  direct calls)
- logging code was refactored to support different appenders
  (customizable using above mechanism)
- re-wrote the mutex & condition variables implementation
- Unicode conversion code was refactored to be operatig system independent
  (using apr-iconv)
- refactored the test suite and added some tests
- refactored global variable initialisation and lifecycle management
- refactoring of some namings in the runtime code
- added support for custom exceptions
- serializers for some types, e.g. list, set and map were refactored
  (they now work exactly as in the Java binding -> all are sent as Object[])
- structured the headers and c files, removed some unused ones
- some general bugfixing and cleanup for runtime code

Looking forward to your answer,

Holger Grandy
Michael Fitzner