From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: [vote] release apache etch 1.1.0 incubating (rc3)
Date Sun, 21 Jun 2009 09:00:05 GMT
1. Verified all .MD5 and .SHA1 checksums.

2. Verified that the .ASC is signed by a key from the KEYS file in the
SVN directory.

3. Content in -src.tar.gz has an extra level of 'etch' that we
normally don't promote. Not a stopper.

4. Verified that all artifacts in SRC release exist in the SVN tag.

5. Verified that the content in the SRC zip and tar.gz archives are
equivalent. Whitespace differs though, not a stopper.

6. There is two files present in the BIN.zip distro that is not
present in the BIN.tar.gz distro;
    ApacheEtchCsharpIncubating.dll
    ApacheEtchCsharpIncubating.pdb
    Any reason for that?? Stopper depending on answer.

7. I didn't get "ant-dotnet" working.
  [taskdef] Could not load definitions from resource
org/apache/ant/dotnet/antlib.xml. It could not be found.
  I think it is because the following property
Etch.dependency.ant-dotnet-1.0.jar, see;
    -bash-3.2$ grep -r build.ant-dotnet.lib * | grep -v target
    build-support/etch.common.xml:    <property
name="Etch.dependency.ant-dotnet-1.0.jar"
value="${build.ant-dotnet.lib}/ant-dotnet-1.0.jar" />
refers to "build.ant-dotnet.lib" which is not set anywhere... but then
again, changing it to use ant-dotnet.lib (defined in
build.dependencies) didn't work, so it could be a matter of ordering
and/or classpath setups... and I don't have more time to investigate
this. I recommend an amendment in the BUILD.txt saying how to make the
Taskdef available in Ant by copying something, or setting an
additional env variable. I want to see an amendment in the BUILD.txt
OR a fix to the build so that the BUILD.txt tells the correct story.

8. I have not tested the Eclipse build, as I see that as a pure
optional setup...

9. Licensing-wise;
  a. You depend on JavaCC which is licensed under BSD, which is fully
Ok, but the BSD license requires that the downstream users are
notified of this and that attribution is paid to the project. Please
add an entry for that in NOTICE, and the actual BSD License text at
the end of LICENSE file. This is a show stopper.

  b. You depend on JUnit which is licensed under Common Public License
(CPL), which we have defined as a Category B license for inclusion in
Apache projects, i.e. only Binary dependencies. You fulfill this
requirement, but again CPL requires attribution, so please add in
NOTICE and the full license text at the end of the LICENSE file.
Alternatively, specify JUnit installed to operate with Ant as a
"System Requirement" for building from sources.

  c. You have an optional/alternate dependency on Mono. Considering
the licensing statement from Novell, I think this should also be
brought up on legal-discuss@ mailing list. I don't think it has been
covered in the past. Personally I think you are in the clear, (same
goes for NUnit) if you change the wording to be that Mono or DotNet
(and NUnit) are "System Requirements" and not "Dependencies" as they
are now listed. After all, you are not redistributing in any way.

  d. I think you should gracefully list Apache Velocity in the NOTICE file.

10. I have not verified that the build output from sources correspond
with the binary distro.

Cheers

--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer