From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: release 1.1.0 wiki page and beyond...
Date Wed, 17 Jun 2009 08:09:24 GMT
On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 12:33 AM, scott comer<wert1y@mac.com> wrote:

> currently we are linking to artifacts from cisco (1.0.1) and from james
> (1.0.2)
> and my (1.1.0) home directories on people.apache.org. i'm guessing there is
> better place to put these latter two released files.

Hmmm... I think I have missed to inform you about how releases are
handled. I have not been a release manager myself since 2004, so I am
a bit rusty on the subject.

In essence, the ASF doesn't have enough bandwidth to serve all the
downloads from the public, so we depend on other companies to be
'mirrors', and for that to work there are both a special "download
page" script as well as dedicated locations where the artifacts must
be stored.

Here are some pages with a lot of information;
http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html
http://www.apache.org/dev/release-download-pages.html  [1]
http://www.apache.org/dev/release-signing.html
http://httpd.apache.org/dev/release.html
http://commons.apache.org/releases/

http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html (still under dev)

also see example from other podling;
http://incubator.apache.org/sling/site/release-management.html

Please note that when they speak of
"www.apache.org/dist/incubator/etch", the actual location is;
Server; people.apache.org
Directory; /x1/www/incubator.apache.org/etch

[1] This document describes how you create a Download page for stuff
stored in /dist and served by mirrors.

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer