From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: GIT mirror anyone?
Date Thu, 26 Feb 2009 00:07:19 GMT
It is important to understand that the ASF at the moment has a policy
against DSCM, in so far that patch sharing between community members
are frowned upon. If the patches only circulate on mailing lists, then
there is a bit of mitigating circumstance, and the only accepted use
at the moment is to use Git for managing your own work and then use
the gitsvn bridge. Reasons are revolving around the fact that the
mentioned bridge will loose commit information if patches are shared,
and such history is legally very important to the ASF.

There has been endless discussions on Members' list whether we should
open up for Git use more, or even change from Svn to Git as *the* SCM
system, but since IDE tooling on Java for Git is still relatively
shaky compared to the Svn equivalents, I personally think that such
change in ASF is a few years away at least.

Cheers
Niclas