From "Niclas Hedhman" <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Etch Name Service Proposal
Date Tue, 13 Jan 2009 10:38:00 GMT
On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 11:07 PM, James Dixson <dixson3@gmail.com> wrote:
> No. We have not really looked into Apache River/Jini as a possible
> solution, nor have we looked at Zeroconf or UPnP.

I was not requesting you to look at any of these as possible
solutions, but the Jini specs contain a lot of useful contents in this
space which you could learn from and the adapt into the Etch
specifications. Examples;

* Leases, a general-purpose mechanism for timing out resource
allocation on an intermittent network.

* Discovery/Join, a mechanism to locate the Naming Service (called
Lookup Service in Jini). The entire cycle of Discover -> Join -> Get
Hold Of Name Service -> Register Service (for the service PoV) and
likewise the Discover -> Join -> NameService -> Lookup Service for the
clients, are some things I think Etch should incorporate.

* Remote Events, tackles aspects of events on networks. You probably
have that well covered...

IMHO, Jini have a lot of good ideas and well-written specifications,
but that the implementations have been 'hard to consume' and the
community been 'defensive' to improve. My hope was that Etch can pick
up the stick (the good ideas) and bring it to the masses.

Cheers
Niclas