From "James Dixson" <dixs...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Etch Name Service Proposal
Date Tue, 06 Jan 2009 15:07:09 GMT
No. We have not really looked into Apache River/Jini as a possible
solution, nor have we looked at Zeroconf or UPnP. Our initial effort
has been to define the Etch Name Service in terms of Etch itself. In
other words, to define the service in terms of its Etch API and
behaviors rather than its specific implementation. The purpose of
defining the service in terms of Etch is to maintain our platform and
language neutrality goals and to keep the developer experience at the
level of an API call.

Apache River may actually be a good 90% implementation of the behavior
we are seeking here. If that is the case then we could implement the
Etch API for the Etch Name Service on top of Jini and we would be
good. I just do not know enough about Apache River to evaluate how
realistic/practical that approach might be. It is certainly worth
investigating if only as you say to learn from their experiences.

--
james