From "J.D. Liau (jliau)" <jl...@cisco.com>
Subject RE: Post to Etch developer community
Date Tue, 20 Jan 2009 19:07:28 GMT
I think there is going to be discussions around how Etch service exposes
interfaces such as SOAP, or JavaScript, etc.  Native transport or proxy
service are all very interesting ideas.

>From Etch's perspective, there is no obvious reason to add no-arg
default constructor.  However, for developers who try to integrate Etch
into their existing environment and requirements, developers may run
into the same issue as Nithya and would like to modify compiler
generated code.

So, what's the downside having new Etch compiler option to generate
no-arg default constructor (or similar change) on demand?  It does not
change the integrity of Etch runtime and it is not default Etch compiler
option but you give developers other possibilities for further
integration.

-----Original Message-----
From: hedhman@gmail.com [mailto:hedhman@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Niclas
Hedhman
Sent: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 9:40 AM
To: etch-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Post to Etch developer community

Hi,
Cake-on-Cake is an expression in Sweden, when you talk about unnecessary
layering.

To me, and I am by no means an expert but would like to take a shot at
this, the approach is wrong. IIUIC, you are introducing an extra SOAP
tier for no particular reason, other than having the service available
via SOAP, in which case you might as well do the decorators by yourself
or a dynamic proxy. OTOH, Etch IDL should be used as the source to
generate the SOAP interface straight at the service, and possibly Etch
could later introduce proxy services which could be utilized for 'extra
tier' requirements. Sticking SOAP on the Java generated client sounds
like an typical anti-pattern to me.

Cheers
Niclas