From Vassil Dichev <vdic...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Actions with Lift 2.2 (was: Move to latest Lift release for 1.2)
Date Fri, 17 Dec 2010 21:57:05 GMT
Hi Vladimir,

About using actions, there used to be a short help on the "New action"
page. I still think we did a mistake by removing it, because without
some type of reference at hand you're lost- even I don't remember all
details of the syntax for many actions. Anyway, here's a short
reference:
http://incubator.apache.org/esme/actions.html

In short, the idea is that you have configurable filters with which
you select messages and then for these filters you apply some actions
with this message, like mail it or resend (i.e. retweet) it to all
your followers. In this way you can set up the behaviour for many
existing Twitter bots, but inside ESME, which means less problems for
security and less problems for configuring inside the firewall.

Regarding development: not that I want to discourage you, but actions
seem a fairly complicated to start. First of all, sorry to disagree
with you, but the MsgParser hardly speaks for itself :) As one can
expect from a reasonably complicated parser, it's fairly dense code
and it takes me some effort to modify.

In addition, the regular action is somewhat special- it starts its own
actor, the sole purpose of which is to trigger an action at regular
intervals.

By the way, the SchedulerActor had the same problem as the UserActor-
the list was not updated properly because of the :+ operator, but I
fixed it by replacing with the ::= operator too.

Anyway, I'll take a look at the code this weekend and try to see what's wrong.

Hope this helps,
Vassil