From Ethan Jewett <esjew...@gmail.com>
Subject User page design questions/directions
Date Thu, 18 Nov 2010 17:18:50 GMT
Hi all,

In my quest to switch all timelines over to the standard format (with comet
support), I am now looking at doing the user page next. Example page:
http://esmecloudserverapache.dickhirsch.staxapps.net/user/h (Can't use mine
as an example because my timeline is blank, as usual.)

This page is actually a little bit of an annoyance because it has two
timelines on it. Also, the tab display is going to be trouble. I've been
thinking about it a bit and come to the following conclusions:

1. We need to display both the contacts and a timeline on this page, so the
tab display probably needs to stay, at least for now.

2. I'm not sure why we need the "Timeline" tab at all. Is it useful for
others to be able to see (sort of) the timeline display that another user
sees? I say "sort of" because you can't see messages that are in a pool you
have access to. Twitter only displays the equivalent of the "Messages" tab,
which I do see as very useful for making a follow/unfollow decision. I'm
thinking about dropping the "Timeline" tab.

3. We need to clean up the header. Maybe so it just says something like
"Dick Hirsch - 'h'" in this example. We should also add the profile picture,
probably to the left of the name.

4. I am thinking I will not want to put a message input box on this page, as
it is not a pure timeline display, so it could be very confusing to users.

What do you all think? Do we need to keep the "Timeline" tab? Does anyone
have anything else planned for this page that I should take into account?

Ethan