From Richard Hirsch <hirsch.d...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ESME and Akka
Date Mon, 08 Nov 2010 14:54:20 GMT
On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 3:40 PM, Vassil Dichev <vdichev@apache.org> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> For a while I've been thinking about integrating Akka
> (http://akkasource.org/) into ESME. Akka is a library for concurrency,
> fault-tolerance and remoting and actors are one of its most important
> components. The advantages of using Akka are:
>
> 1. Easy remoting- it's trivial to make an actor remote
> (http://doc.akkasource.org/remote-actors-java). This might help with
> federation/clustering in the future.

Cool - as you well know the lift community is also looking into Akka.

> 2. Akka has nice Camel integration (http://doc.akkasource.org/camel).
> Camel has a lot of endpoint components, which are conspicuously
> similar in intent to our actions:
> (http://camel.apache.org/components.html). If we replace our actions
> with Camel components, we will have a ready DSL for dozens of actions
> at little extra effort. For instance, XMPP support is supposed to
> become trivial (at least at first glance).

Even cooler - would solve lots of problems and give us an amazing
amount of interaction possibilities.  Like the heavy enterprise focus
as well with spring,  AMQP,  jdbc, etc. How fatal would the
refactoring be?  Could we still have our own actions that are
esme-specific?

> The upside is that it should be fairly ealy to replace Lift actors
> with Akka actors where (and if) needed. The downside is having another
> library dependency- but we also won't need to implement and maintain
> all the different action types.

Another dependency with an apache project really isn't problem.