From Ethan Jewett <esjew...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1030614 - in /incubator/esme/trunk/server/src/main/webapp: images/bg-update-bot.png images/bg-update-mid.png images/bg-update-top.png style/style.css templates-hidden/message.html templates-hidden/message_update_box.html
Date Fri, 05 Nov 2010 08:34:49 GMT
On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 9:21 AM, Richard Hirsch <hirsch.dick@gmail.com>wrote:

> But don't you think moving the update box to the main template would
> eat up space?

Yes, exactly. This is why I'm proposing changing the form-factor of the
update box when we do this, or going with something different entirely, like
you talk about below.

> I'd like more of an inline update box like that from twitter rather
> than from seesmic web.

I think there is definitely an argument to be made here. Now that the
templates have been refactored, it would not be difficult to put the update
box inline on the tag and conversation pages. So maybe that is a good first
step?

The question is - does the behavior change on those pages, because if it is
inline I think users will expect to automatically post with a tag or in a
conversation, depending on the context. If we do something more like
Streamie or Seesmic (where the update box is clearly part of the header and
not the timeline), then it is clear that the update box always works the
same no matter where you are, and if you want to use a tag or do a reply
then it is up to you (the user) to do that.

> > 1. Have something like Twitter.com's new interface where there is always
> > small text box displayed and clicking on it expands to a full
> message-input
> > interface.
> >
> > 2. Have something like streamie.org's interface where the message-input
> area
> > slides down from the header upon request (thought I think if we do this
> we
> > should make it more "in your face" than Streamie's implementation).
>
> Could we "borrow" that CSS code from streamie?

Streamie is under a BSD license, so I think the answer is yes, though we
might have to put something in our NOTICE file. Not sure.

If we decide to go the Streamie route (slide out update box), then I think
it will be easier to redo it ourselves. We can use the Streamie CSS and
Javascript as an example, but I think in the end we'll want to use JQuery
animations because they work cross-browser. I'm not sure what Ube used in
Streamie.

Ethan