From Ethan Jewett <esjew...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Filters / actions
Date Wed, 08 Sep 2010 11:02:46 GMT
Interesting post. I agree that our actions get us part-way there from
a functionality standpoint. It seems to me that the biggest challenge
for users of our actions right now is that they are really a very
expert-oriented UI. I'd like to see a couple of things done around the
actions UI, pretty much in line with part of what Ray writes about:

1. A wizard-based UI for setting up actions (we can keep the
expert-mode, but I think we need a guided way to set these up)

2. Real-time feedback on what messages a test will catch, based on
user's current timeline (kind of like the Gmail filter UI). I realize
that this will probably be difficult and might be performance
intensive, so it should probably wait. Though I think it will be OK if
we just do the test on the user's mailbox, right?

3. Restore the help text explaining the allowed syntax to the expert
view - it seems to have disappeared.

Do you think that gets us further towards what Ray is talking about?

Ethan