From Richard Hirsch <hirsch.d...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Filters / actions
Date Wed, 08 Sep 2010 11:57:05 GMT
On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 1:02 PM, Ethan Jewett <esjewett@gmail.com> wrote:
> Interesting post. I agree that our actions get us part-way there from
> a functionality standpoint. It seems to me that the biggest challenge
> for users of our actions right now is that they are really a very
> expert-oriented UI. I'd like to see a couple of things done around the
> actions UI, pretty much in line with part of what Ray writes about:
>
> 1. A wizard-based UI for setting up actions (we can keep the
> expert-mode, but I think we need a guided way to set these up)

lift has a new wizard framework - maybe we should take a look at that

> 2. Real-time feedback on what messages a test will catch, based on
> user's current timeline (kind of like the Gmail filter UI). I realize
> that this will probably be difficult and might be performance
> intensive, so it should probably wait. Though I think it will be OK if
> we just do the test on the user's mailbox, right?

This a good idea but I have no idea how it / if world really work.

> 3. Restore the help text explaining the allowed syntax to the expert
> view - it seems to have disappeared.

I've thought about this and it might be easy to create larger tool
tips with the missing details. Definitely doable for 1.2

> Do you think that gets us further towards what Ray is talking about?

There are also some things missing that Ray mentions (like location.)
I've been thinking about have an action test that looks at a message
meta-data - we could probably cover a lot with that - I don't exactly
what sort of syntax would be necessary (XPath?)