From Ethan Jewett <esjew...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ESME-267 - Pooled links in popular links list
Date Tue, 31 Aug 2010 18:07:23 GMT
Hi Vassil,

Assuming we have a problem (it sounds to me like this is up for
debate), I think a reasonable solution that doesn't reduce
functionality or defeat the purpose of short-links is to modify the
URL store to keep short-links found in public messages separate from
short-links found in pools. We could do this be adding a mapped
boolean flag attribute to the UrlStore class. We could also separate
short-links by pool, as you suggest, by storing the pool as an
attribute of the UrlStore class.

Either way we could make it so that clicks on links from pools don't
increment the counter, so links found only in pools will never appear
in the "Popular links" list.

What do you think? Are we going to run into problems with that? Will
this break any other functionality?

Ethan

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 11:52 AM, Vassil Dichev <vdichev@apache.org> wrote:
> OK, I think this is a worse example, because there are many ways to
> find a list of URLs in a wiki (which were generally just not designed
> with privacy/security in mind).
>
> If you're willing to sacrifice convenience for security, the easiest
> change is not to parse URLs in messages in pools- it will appear as
> normal text, not as a hyperlink. The next thing we can do is set up a
> different type of URL which doesn't take you to the shortened URL, but
> directly to the target URL.
>
> If one really insists on shortening URLs in pools, then there must be
> one set of shortened URLs per pool. I don't think anyone will claim
> that this idea makes sense.
>
> Vassil
>

> On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 11:35 AM, Ethan Jewett <esjewett@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I agree in theory with your assessment of the google docs situation,
>> but I still think we're violating the expectation of security around
>> pools.
>>
>> Take another example: An HR department is using a secure wiki to
>> discuss and organize an upcoming layoff. The wiki page is titled
>> "October layoff planning" and the URL is
>> https://hrwiki.corp.internal/October-layoff-planning. Someone posts
>> this URL to the layoff-planning pool on esme (the same group of people
>> with access to the wiki page) and a bunch of people in the pool click
>> on it. Suddenly, the upcoming layoff has been announced to every esme
>> user in the corporation. Whoops!
>>
>> The point is, maybe that private information shouldn't be in the URL,
>> but a lot of applications do this whether or not it is a good idea. I
>> think we need to take that reality into account and change the way
>> this works to avoid the possibility of these scenarios.
>>
>> Ethan
>>
>> On Tuesday, August 31, 2010, Vassil Dichev <vdichev@apache.org> wrote:
>>> Ethan, this defeats the purpose of having an URL shortener and it only
>>> gives you a false sense of security. Read my previous mail.
>>>
>>> Links have no notion of a pool. A link could come from messages in
>>> different pools or it might not be clicked "inside a message" at all.
>>>
>>> Let me know what you think.
>>>
>>> Vassil

Dick's