From in.imt...@gmail.com
Subject Re: ESME-170 - PubSubHubub
Date Sat, 28 Aug 2010 08:40:53 GMT
Ok, I'm going to do  'anything will work to start out'.

Imtiaz

Imtiaz Ahmed H E
Cell +91.98452 84561
Bangalore, India

-----Original Message-----
From: Ethan Jewett <esjewett@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 10:29:29
To: <esme-dev@incubator.apache.org>
Subject: Re: ESME-170 - PubSubHubub

I forgot to address the "inundated with messages" problem you bring
up. I actually think this is not a problem, even though it appears to
be an issue. Admittedly, a user could really mess up their timeline
and have everybody unsubscribe from them, but with the capability to
put RSS feed items into specific pools and tags I can see use cases
for a huge deluge of messages into a limited pool, especially for
users that are managed by technical systems via the API. For example,
a CRM system using ESME may actually be interested in seeing every
feed item PuSHed from a Google Buzz tracking feed.

We could always have a configuration option to rate limit the ability
of RSS actions to create messages. We could definitely add that if it
became a problem.

Does that address your concern? Was there something that I'm not thinking of?

Ethan

On Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 4:51 AM, Imtiaz Ahmed H E <in.imtiaz@gmail.com> wrote:
> However,
>
> If a feed PuSHes too often Esme may be inundated with messages. So, instead
> of what Ethan concurs with below, should the user have the option to poll
> 'every 5 mins' or so even if the feed supports PuSH ?
> Also, a feed may support PuSH but the hub may breakdown. In that case should
> the user be reverted to say, a default of, 'every 5 mins' ?
>
> Maybe we should have two kinds of filter tests.
>
> 1. every n mins
> 2. onpush default every n mins
>
> PubSubHubub will be used only in 2 above, reverting to every n mins if the
> feed's hub breaks down (fails)..
>
> In 1 above, only polling will be done even if the feed supports PuSH.
>
> Let me know if this sounds okay...
>
> Imtiaz
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Ethan Jewett" <esjewett@gmail.com>

Dick in the