From Ethan Jewett <esjew...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Metadata handling (was "Release planning")
Date Sun, 25 Jul 2010 18:30:56 GMT
Responding to myself because there was indeed something I was
"fundamentally misunderstanding":

On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 8:09 PM, Ethan Jewett <esjewett@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think if the user sends non-entity-encoded strings to the API for
> the metadata, then we need to return the same string. We're returning
> UTF-8 XML here, not HTML, so my thought was that no one would be
> expected entity-encoded output. If we return JSON or other formats in
> the future (and I do plan to do that), then we'll have to encode
> however necessary for that format.
>
> Maybe I'm fundamentally misunderstanding how this output is supposed
> to be encoded. Encoding is definitely not my area of expertise.
>
> If I'm not misunderstanding, then yes, I think we need to decode the
> entity-encoding so that we see " < and > in the output. I'm not sure
> if it is currently getting encoded because of something we do or
> because of Scala's XML handling.

My fundamental misunderstanding was around how you deal with the
characters <, >, ", ', and & in XML:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_XML_and_HTML_character_entity_references#Predefined_entities_in_XML

They indeed must be encoded (though they are a much smaller subset of
entities that must be encoded than in HTML), so I suppose that we
should return them in encoded form. Do you agree?

Ethan