From Richard Hirsch <hirsch.d...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Broken OpenID
Date Mon, 14 Jun 2010 10:25:30 GMT
I agree with Vassil. If I remember correctly, users created via OpenID had
their openid urls as their user ids which messed up our UI.

The one idea I had was to add the OpenID to the sign-up page and created a
JIRA item for this. I looked at the code in the ProfileMgr that dealt with
this in the profile and decided that adding the openID to the sign-on page
was non-trivial and thus placed the jira item in the backlog.

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 12:16 PM, Vassil Dichev <vdichev@apache.org> wrote:

> > And my question still remains the same ;-)
> > Should we use time on this right now, or would it be easier to remove the
> field in the UI for now?
>
> Sorry for not following up on this: I had the impression that OpenID
> worked as intended and the user is not supposed to create a user
> through OpenID. This would mean that the username would be
> autogenerated and currently you cannot edit the username. This is not
> a hard requirement, but do we want to make the username editable? It
> might make some implications for using existing pools, actions, etc.
> (not that they're bound to the username, but an attacker might use it
> for phishing/social engineering).
>
> Another drawback of OpenID user auto-creation is that a user will not
> have a password initially, and might not ever choose to set it. I'm
> not sure this is desirable, considering that OpenID might not always
> be available and there's no other way to log in.

Good point  - the necessity of having two logins is feature :->

> Finally, from usability point of view if you think you have associated
> an OpenID URL with an existing account, but you're not, then logging
> in with OpenID will create a new account you do not want. This is
> especially tricky considering that we treat these as different URLs:
>
> http://host/path/
> http://host/path/index.html
> http://host.domain.com/path/
>
> So is OpenID actually broken? If it's not, there's no point in fixing it.

I also agree with Anne that in the long-term, we will probably have
container-based authentication, so investing more time in OpenID probably
isn't ideal.