From Richard Hirsch <hirsch.d...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: User and contacts pages
Date Sun, 11 Apr 2010 11:40:10 GMT
On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 12:55 PM, Anne Kathrine Petter√łe
<yojibee@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been doing some thinking about the users/profile pages because I
> don't like the navigation we currently have.

Agreed

> 1. Get rid of the users page in the navigation panel on the right and
> replace it with a (my) contacts page.

"Users" page in its current form won't work anyway when there thousands of
users in an environment.

> We decided to keep the public timeline, so discovery can happen there.

 What I'd like to do aid discovery is to add follow functionality like in
twitter. Here is an example that I would like to use.
http://www.9lessons.info/2009/04/exactly-twitter-like-follow-and-remove.html

> 2. Make a new layout for the contacts page with two tabs
> (following/followers)
> Instead of using the table sorter like we do on the users page today we
> could make it similar to how twitter displays followers/following:
> nickname
> name
> last tweet
> when

This is similar to the current layout of  the users' page. We might be able
to use the same layout with the users' being restricted to my followers or
followed

> 3. Make a list of all users (without displaying the last tweet) for
> discovery purposes. I don't know where to add it in the navigation yet,
> maybe next to the public timeline and settings on the top?

What information would you display from the users?

> 4. New profile page (instead of the current user/profilename page) which
> only shows the timeline of this user and a follow button.

I'd like to display more user attributes as well. First name,  last name,
etc.  I'm thinking about adding location and bio to the user attributes as
well.