From Richard Hirsch <hirsch.d...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: User and contacts pages
Date Sun, 11 Apr 2010 12:07:18 GMT
On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 1:57 PM, Anne Kathrine Petter√łe
<yojibee@gmail.com>wrote:

> On 11. apr. 2010, at 13.40, Richard Hirsch wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 12:55 PM, Anne Kathrine Petter√łe
> > <yojibee@gmail.com>wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I have been doing some thinking about the users/profile pages because I
> >> don't like the navigation we currently have.
> >>

> > Agreed
> >

> >> 1. Get rid of the users page in the navigation panel on the right and
> >> replace it with a (my) contacts page.
> >>

> > "Users" page in its current form won't work anyway when there thousands
> of
> > users in an environment.
>
> Which is why I wanted to remove it too.
>

> >> We decided to keep the public timeline, so discovery can happen there.
> >>

> > What I'd like to do aid discovery is to add follow functionality like in
> > twitter. Here is an example that I would like to use.
> >
> http://www.9lessons.info/2009/04/exactly-twitter-like-follow-and-remove.html
>
> On the public timeline?

Public and other pages where you might look for new users to follow. One
step follow instead of having to go to user's page and follow there

> >> 2. Make a new layout for the contacts page with two tabs
> >> (following/followers)
> >> Instead of using the table sorter like we do on the users page today we
> >> could make it similar to how twitter displays followers/following:
> >> nickname
> >> name
> >> last tweet
> >> when
> >>

> > This is similar to the current layout of  the users' page. We might be
> able
> > to use the same layout with the users' being restricted to my followers
> or
> > followed
>
> It is similar, but I now it is all on one line. I would like to make it
> more twitter like and have one line per "item".

If you look at http://twitter.com/following, you'll see two types of display
- list and expanded. We're actually close to the list display

> >> 3. Make a list of all users (without displaying the last tweet) for
> >> discovery purposes. I don't know where to add it in the navigation yet,
> >> maybe next to the public timeline and settings on the top?
> >>

> > What information would you display from the users?
>
> Just picture, username and full name.
> But I am not sure we really need this though? I'd be  happy to just keep
> the public timeline and chuck out the list of all users.
>

> >> 4. New profile page (instead of the current user/profilename page) which
> >> only shows the timeline of this user and a follow button.
> >>

> > I'd like to display more user attributes as well. First name,  last name,
> > etc.  I'm thinking about adding location and bio to the user attributes
> as
> > well.
>
> A bio would definitely be great!
> But I think that is something we could focus on after the 1.1 release.

This should be pretty easy to implement but you're right probably - 1.2
might be better